Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Greetings! Day One.

Hello!

This is my very simple little blog about being on the program Ideal Protein. Welcome!
(I will post my history with weight loss and healthier living another day. As of Thanksgiving Day, before I ate, I weighed 221 lbs on a 5' 3" frame.)

I am not paid or compensated by Ideal Protein for any of my writing. It was my own idea. :-)

When a food is listed in italics, that is a pre-packaged food made by Ideal Protein. Most of the food is in packets, gets blended in a shakey cup with a wire ball in it, and then cooked if needed. It's super easy to do.
Example : I had the chicken soup for lunch. I'll use IP for Ideal Protein, too.

From Ideal Protein :
The Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method is a medically designed protocol that results in fat loss while sparing muscle mass. The protocol was developed in France 25 years ago by Dr. Tran Tien Chanh, MD PhD, who focused his career and research on nutrition with a particular emphasis on the treatment of obesity and obesity related issues.

The Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method is an easy 4-phase protocol which helps stabilize the pancreas and blood sugar levels while burning fat and maintaining muscle and other lean tissue. This protocol is also an excellent support for cellulite reduction and has been used in well over 2500 Professional Establishments in North America over the last eight years with great success.

Chances are that if you are here, you've seen this information. Here's how the first day went... with some backstory.
Day Before : Thanksgiving. November 25, 2010

Hannah, my friend Hannah Redd - Doctor of Acupuncture and my consultant for Ideal Protein, specifically encouraged me to "go easy" at Thanksgiving rather than trying to make an epic Last Meal scene.  I agreed - after all, I wasn't about to be hung, given a lethal injection, or put up on a cross. I was happy about being able to finally correct my pancreas after years of eating in ways that only beleagered my poor little insulin-producing organ. Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful in so many ways. I ate conservatively for a "typical American" at Thanksgiving.  I was very, very aware of what was going into my face. I savored my home-made-from-scratch pumpkin pie (yes, I even cooked the pumkin myself!). I loved the fresh whipped cream on my pie and in my coffee!  I felt pleasingly full, not stuffed, and began plotting for the next day as soon as I got home from our family's house. I had a lot to do!

Day One : November 26, 2010 (This will be the only post that I use this much detail about the day)

When I woke up, I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "You're really doing this thing. You are taking care of me! Thank you!"  I remembered that Hannah said that the first four days were the hardest - after that I'd be over the hump and not hungry anymore. I wasn't particularly worried about it. Some people have a hard time with the feeling of hunger. I've done some inner work to allay those feelings. (read some great books and done some good therapy)

The food part was easy in the morning. I had a peanut bar. Wow, it was tastier and more filling than I had been expecting. I had coffee with a bit of milk (I cannot do skim milk. I am using 2%). I loaded up with my potassium/calcium (p/c from here on out) and my multi-vitamin (m-v). I knew I would be needing to grocery store. I had some vegetables at home, but not enough to get through even one day on IP so I decided to go after I had eaten lunch.

I chopped up a bunch of vegetables, mixed them up, and used grapeseed oil and cider vinegar with some spices for a salad dressing. Chicken soup way better than I expected - it was more chicken-y thank Campbell's cream of chicken soup. I heated it up for just one minute, in the microwave. After the soup and salad, I still wasn't sure about how I was feeling about not eating very much. I was waiting for the "hunger" (or in my case "HUNGRY NOWWWWWWW!" feeling to settle in.)

At dinner, I was baffled. I had been planning on having mushroom soup when I realized that I don't eat an IP food at dinnertime. In the food log, there are two places to log all intake. One is labeled "foods I ate or drank" and the other is "Ideal Protein Diet Food".  I really wanted tuna, and since it's allowed, I had a whole tin of it  (five ounces, which is actually two ounces less than allowed, since it's fish, and not a land-based animal) and I had a mess of greens including spinach and one restricted vegetable out of the two I'm allowed each week. I chose green beans. They were around, so I used 'em. And mmmm, coffee again. Yay!

I was starting to be a little confused, so I compared the food log with the handout that outlines what to eat, and when. It lays out when to take the supplements, which is handy. (seven pills for the minimal requirement, 16 if you do the full complement of supplements that IP strongly recommends) While the logbook has handy pictures of a water bottle and eight boxes to check off, and pictures of the pill bottles with boxes to check off, it does not say WHEN to take the pills. So I've written that in by putting B,L,D, or S in the boxes(breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack), which has helped.

I picked the right time to grocery shop - the store was pretty empty at my local Shop Rite, and I blissfully  bought my vegetables. Cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, baby spinach, and got some more apple cider vinegar and grape seed oil. I got some lean meat options, too. Chicken breast and lean sirloin. Yum!

For my snack later, I had mushroom soup, which was also very good. The use of salt that is high in minerals  is mandatory on IP, and I'm glad, because it's delicious! The seasalt is from Utah, from back when there used to be a sea there! I wish more companies left salt out of their pre-packaged foods. It's nice to choose which salt I want.

I was mildly hungry throughout the day. I was not wicked uncomfortable. The hardest part of the day was eating all my food by 9pm (they say 8pm, but that does not work for me) and then staying up to 1am. I drank a LOT of water, and a LOT of hot teas to stay satiated. It worked well.

Days 2-7 tomorrow!

Be well!
Sunflower

No comments:

Post a Comment