Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Days 3-8

December 4 - 6, 2010
Days 3-8

     I went in for my first weigh in, and I can tell you this: I never thought I'd be the poster child for the statement "results not typical". I lost - are you sitting down? - fifteen pounds in one week.  To quote Dave Barry, "I swear I'm not making this up." If I had not been on the scale I would not have believed the the reading of 206 myself.  I have weighed 221 to 225 for about three years, after bouncing up from about 190 in 2003. No matter what I've done, I have stayed about the same weight once I got to that 220 range.  I was eating less than I had, and I felt great because I felt like I could stay a certain weight by eating balanced meals. Boy, was I right... Exercise has helped me to remain strong and limber, and keep some muscles pumped up (under my flabby tummy, I have rock hard abs! I do! stop laughing!). Running and lifting weights saved me when I had a back injury that stopped me from being able to do things like walk. It was pretty bad, but I didn't need surgery, and my weight stayed the same.  I was balanced. Or, I was in stasis.
     Balance and stasis are related terms, but the implications of the word are exactly opposite. Balance implies
perfection, while stasis often reflects a feeling of stagnation. I was eating a very well-balanced diet, so my body was in stasis. Every once in a while, I'd overeat, and then I'd gain a bit more weight, and later on I'd try to balance that out by having less carbs - cutting out soda and juice was easy enough. I never cut out alcohol to lose weight - I don't drink terribly much (especially since I take daily medication that does not really get along with it).  (I am forgoing any alcohol for these six months. It's weird but not a big deal.)
     The Ideal Protein diet is making me very conscious of what my brain is often telling me out of sheer habit.  I reached out for a stick of gum, a lollipop, and peanut M&Ms because they were there, not because I really wanted them. I had not realized how many people eat out of boredom combined with "it was there" unconsciously.  I was very surprised when accosted by an image of fried chicken dinner flashed in my brain. It was like accidentally seeing a horror show commercial on TV (or some awful internet/text message picture that someone should really stop forwarding before all bandwidth is gone). I could not unsee it. Rather than craving the whole meal, however, I decided to focus on the part of that whole meal that I could concievably eat. Mmmmm, five ounces of chicken breast meat, yay! In the past, I might have driven to KFC before I knew what hit me. Actually, I know that's true because it's happened in the past.
     I'm particularly susceptible to eating fast food when I'm feeling like I miss my parents, because it's like being cared for, and the tastes are familiar. The quantities are hearty. The salt, sugar, and fat combine for the trifecta of "YOU WANT TO EAT THIS NOWWWWW" feeling. When I am in maintenance, I will be sure to have a little mini meal of KFC food. I know I will never again eat an entire 5pc meal with an extra biscuit. (the extra was so I could have one with gravy and one with butter and jam. oy.)
     Eating differently from my husband for a couple of meals could be stressful if he was not SO supportive. He has been on board since I told him the science behind the diet. Lately i've mentionet that I'lol likely be a very careful eater for teh rest of my life. he does not seem thereatened by this. I'm so glad. He's told me how proud he is of me for being so committed to the plan. That warmed my heart.
     I had my first dinner out, and luckily, I knew what to do : big salad, small protein. I ordered a double salad with turkey breast meat, like the meat they use on grinders. It was a sweet, small, familuy-run spot, and bless their hearts for rolling up some cheese with the turkey. I set most of it aside. some managed to end up in my mouth. Not sure how it LEAPED into me.... (my fork). "Oh no, I'm not going back!" I heard from my body.  End of transgression - no Hail Mary's for me this time!
     I have not really been exercising. I have been, however, helping a friend to re-finish their new house. At some point, I will start excercising again. I dance a little in the mornings, and I walk when I can, but it's been so cold that I'd like to hit my gym so I can use their heat and hot water! (I pay for it, why not?)
     I'm nervous now for the next weigh-in... I keep thinking I'm going to see a bounce up in weight! Not sure why the nerves... anyway, I'm just feeling awesome, so I'm going to focus on that!

     Take care and feel free to ask me questions wherever - email or Facebook!

     Peace!
     Sunflower
(idealproteinblogger@gmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment